How would you like to work first-hand on developing our ever growing instructor community? A Mentoring Subcommittee Co-Chair position has just opened!
The leader serving in this year-long position (December 2017- December 2018) will share duties with the co-chair of the mentoring subcommittee, with a commitment averaging 1.5 hours/week.
The expectations of the mentoring subcommittee co-chairs are to host the monthly mentoring subcommittee meetings, facilitate opportunities for building connections across our community to better serve our instructors, and to manage the weekly instructor discussion sessions hosted on this etherpad.
If you would like to be considered, please fill out this short google form by December 4th. The current mentoring subcommittee co-chairs will select a new co-chair from the applicants with input from the Carpentries staff liaison, and other members of the Carpentries community.
- Host one of the two monthly mentoring subcommittee meetings (The co-chair will host the other.)
- Attend one debriefing meeting per month with the co-chair (usually soon after the monthly meeting).
- Commit to an average of 1.5 hours per week (usually ~2 hours/week during the week of hosting the mentoring subcommittee meetings).
- When possible, help host or co-host instructor discussions.
- Communicate challenges and opportunities with Carpentries staff liaison.
1 year position (December 2017 - December 2018)
- Mentored by both co-chairs of the subcommittee (Jamie & Marian) for the first month.
- Until February 2018, work closely with the co-chair (Marian).
- Collaborate with dedicated members of our community to mentor instructors and create a strong network.
- Assist with improving and creating new resources for our instructor and mentoring communities.
- Meet many other amazing Software and Data Carpentry instructors and instructors-in-training.
- Gain and practice skills in community organization.
- Learn more about how the Carpentries function as an organization.
Marian SchmidtJamie Hadwin
Dialogue & Discussion
You can review our commenting policy here.