- The first Software Carpentry and Data Carpentry instructor and helper retreat will be held on 14 November 2015! Please get involved by hosting a local session or attending one. Remote participation will also be possible.
- We have seven new members on the Mentoring Subcommittee. Thanks to Rayna Harris, Christina Koch, Sue McClatchy, Mariela Perignon, Phil Rosenfield, Michael Sarahan, and Belinda Weaver for joining us in this important task.
- Instructor training has been revised. Read the blog to learn about the new plans for 2015 and beyond.
- Jazib Askari, a remarkable 6th form Student at Altrincham Grammar School for Girls wrote about her Software Carpentry work experience.
- Christina Koch mentioned some fun interactive excercises for explaining concepts related to automation and version control in her latest blog.
- "What would you teach to prepare researchers better to do good science given the changing technological landscape?" An interesting post by Naupaka Zimmerman about being wrong, provenance, and structured data. What are your ideas?
- Join the Software Credit Workshop on 19 October 2015 in London to participate in the conversation about career advancement for research software developers.
- Interesting research on transferring teaching knowledge is summarised in a few excerpts from relevant papers. See how Software Carpentry practices compare to other published work in this field.
- Dustin Heaton and Jeffrey Carver published an article on software engineering practices in science.
- Joshua Ryan Smith and Marty McGuire recently ran a commercial workshop based on Software Carpentry materials. Read about their experience and recommendations.
- The mentoring subcommittee provided great tips from a number of workshops. They specifically mention the use of capstone excercises and domain-specific examples, explaining git at the hand of a recipe, and how to use the etherpad.
- 13 workshops were run over the last 14 days. For full details on previous workshops please visit our website.
- Several workshops have been confirmed for the next few months. Upcoming workshops can be viewed on our website. Newly added workshops are indicated with "*".
- September: University of Waterloo*, University of British Columbia*, National Institute of Standards and Technology*, Booth School of Business, U. Chicago*, Conestoga College*, ICPSR Official Representatives*, Oxford*, University of Queensland
- October: University of Sydney - Charles Perkins Centre*, James Cook University, JoziHub*, Virginia Tech*, COMBINE - University of Sydney*, Acadia University*, University of Michigan, Jackson Laboratory*, University of Washington - Seattle*, The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine*, Calcul Quebec, Universite Laval*
- November: European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), Climate Change Research Centre, UNSW Australia*