- Software Carpentry is entering the next phase and will be hiring a new Executive Director. Please apply if you are passionate about the mission of the Software Carpentry Foundation!
- Do you want to help steer Software Carpentry in the right direction over the next five years? Help us by completing a short anonymous SWOT survey.
- Two new coordinators, Maneesha Sane and Katarzyna Zaczek, have joined the Software Carpentry team, and we're saying goodbye to Amy Brown.
- We've changed the workshop administration fees. Please read the post for details.
- "Effective Computation in Physics" written by two Software Carpentry instructors, Anthony Scopatz and Katy Huff, is now available.
- An Open Research Glossary generated through a crowd-sourcing effort with a number of named contributors is now available.
- AMY version 0.6 has been released with a long list of new features and some fixes.
- Future development of project Jupyter (iPython Notebook) will be supported through funds pledged by Helmsley Charitable Trust, the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, and the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation.
- Belinda Weaver provided detailed feedback about their workshop in Brisbane. She emphasises the importance of providing context for teaching git and provides a list of to-dos for their next workshop planned for September.
- Neem Serra wrote a truly inspirational post about her experiences as instructor at a recent workshop held in Hawaii.
- Join the Jupyter mailing list if you're using the Notebook for teaching purposes.
- Greg Wilson summarised the Top 10 Myths about Teaching Computer Science written by Mark Guzdial.
- The latest instructor's debriefing includes a link to the workshop checklist, hints to encourage the use of stickies and etherpad, and a link to the gapminder R ggplot lesson material.
- 12 workshops were run over the past 18 days. For full details please visit our website.
- Several workshops have been confirmed for the next few months. Upcoming workshops can be viewed on our website. Newly added workshops are indicated with "*".
- July: Curtin University, Harvard University, National Institute of Standards and Technology*, Stanford University*, Life Sciences Institute, UBC
- August: CU Boulder Libraries, UT Knoxville*, Vanderbijlt Unviversity*, North Western University*, Sloan-Kettering*, Stanford University*, NERC / University of Leeds
- September: The University of Leeds - Advanced Research Computing, University of Queensland, European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)*
Anelda van der Walt
Dialogue & Discussion
You can review our commenting policy here.