- Our latest addition to the Software Carpentry curriculum focuses on using Python to work with data on the web.
- We've created an ambitious list of proposed improvements to our lesson templates and aim to have it implemented by September. Please add your comments or help us improve the templates.
- Amy 0.3 has been released and include several improvements that will make administrators' lives easier.
- One of the aims of running a Software Carpentry workshop at SciPy 2015 is to provide Python novices with the basics ahead of the conference. There are still spaces available for the workshop.
- Greg Wilson posted an update on publishing our lessons. Long story short, Zenodo is working on a fix that will allow us to do this Real Soon.
- John Corless provided a summary of his first teaching experience at Oklahoma University. He specifically summarises student feedback and action points for his next workshop.
- We have feedback from the first Software Carpentry workshop held for industry. The workshop was run at Monsanto in two rooms and covered Bash, R, Python, Git, and SQL.
- Becca Tarvin's post about teaching UT biologists computational skills is a must read for anyone working in this field.
- Feedback about a remote workshop run at the University of Campinas is provided by Raniere Silva. He describes it as "the best Software Carpentry workshop I've participated in so far", which bodes well for running more remote workshops in future.
- Nine workshops were run at University of Campinas, Berkeley Institute for Data Science (BIDS), University of Wisconsin-Madison, LHCb in CERN (Geneva), University of Oslo, HASTAC Conference, Oklahoma State University, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute, and Federal Reserve Board over the past ten days.
- Several workshops have been confirmed for the next few months. Upcoming workshops can be viewed on our website. Newly added workshops are indicated with "*".
- June: University of Melbourne*, National Institutes of Health*, University of Cambridge, Materials Physics Center - University of the Basque Country, University of Connecticut*, University of Connecticut Storrs*, University of St Andrews, NeSI - Otago Region Workshop, Universidade Federal do Ceara, California Institute of Technology, Pennsylvania State University*, The Jackson Laboratory, NeSI - Palmerston North Region Workshop*, Utrecht University, Georgia Institute of Technology*, Johns Hopkins University, University of Washington
- July: The University of Queensland, SciPy 2015, West Vancouver Memorial Library, The University of Queensland - AMOS sciences, SAP Offices in Feltham, University of Cape Town, Hospital for Sick Children Curtin University, Harvard University*
Anelda van der Walt
Dialogue & Discussion
You can review our commenting policy here.