|Highlights:||Do you want to help shape the future of Software Carpentry? The Software Carpentry Foundation is now calling for volunteers to serve on various standing committees.|
|NumFOCUS has been selected as a Google Summer of Code mentoring organisation. Students can apply between 16 and 27 March 2015.|
|A Contributor Covenant was added to our lessons and other repositories to promote a harassment-free environment for contribution to Software Carpentry.|
|Resources:||An early release version of Bioinformatics Data Skills is available via O'Reilly. Vince Buffalo's book is highly recommended for both novice and experienced bioinformaticians.|
|Opportunities:||Scientific Software Engineer positions are available at the UK Met Office|
|Changes:||Daisie Huang will be taking over from Jess Hamrick to maintain our Git lessons with Ivan Gonzalez. Our thanks to Jess for all her help.|
- Has your involvement with Software Carpentry led to any form of career advancement? Please contact Jenny Bryan to share your experience.
- View the experimental Paper Now project started by PeerJ to "Create, edit and display a journal article, entirely in GitHub".
- Ruth Collings is adapting the SWC version 4 RegEx lesson to the version 5 template.
- Leszek Tarkowski provided comprehensive feedback about their workshop in Krakow which was taugth in Polish.
- Victor (Kwangchun) Lee summarised their challenges and victories experienced in the first Software Carpentry workshop held in Korea.
- Last month we started a conversation about funding streams for Software Carpentry workshops. Noam Ross has now summarised that discussion and provide some valuable tips for sourcing funding.
- "Best Practices for Scientific Computing" was the most viewed article in PLOS Biology in 2014.
- Ten new instructors joined us last week.
- Four workshops were added: Clemson University, Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), University of British Columbia, and University of Virginia.
Anelda van der Walt
Dialogue & Discussion
You can review our commenting policy here.