Thank you to all the teams that applied for instructor training that sent us applications. Selection of the teams was a very difficult tasks because
- the applications were excellent,
- we had a small amount of time to discuss all the applications and
- we need to improve capacity to support the demand we see for instructor training.
The mentoring subcommittee has selected the teams that inform at their cover letters that booked a room for the instructor training at
- Shrum Science Centre Physics, Vancouver, Canada
- The University of Texas at Arlington, Dallas, US
- James Cook University eResearch Centre, Brisbane, Australia
- University of Wisconsin–Madison, Madison, US
- Universidade Federal do Paraná, Curitiba, Brazil
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Thessaloniki, Greece
- University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
- Max Planck Institute, Berlin, Germany
- Institute Unite de Neurosciences, Information et Complexite, Gif-sur-Yvette, France
We already notified all lead groups of the status of their application but if you didn't head anything please contact us. If you have any question or comments about the selection process please contact me or Jonah Duckles, Software Carpentry's Executive Director.
We had applications from 44 teams and we could accommodate 12 total teams that will be trained by Christina Koch, Fiona Tweedie, Greg Wilson and Steve Crouch.
More than half of the applications came from the US.Canada is the country with the highest number of accepted teams because we received application from three very small teams in close proximity that we merged into one.
In terms of individual applicants, the teams were comprised of more than 200 people and we accepted 49 to the instructor training in December.
The below chart shows the gender balance of the December Instructor Training.
Source code and data
The source code for the plots are available here as a Jupyter Notebook and the CSV files used on it are available here and here. Both CSV files are a copy of the applications that we received without names because of privacy concerns.
Note: We forgot to ask the gender to applicants so the numbers in the CSV is just a guess based on their names.
COMMUNITY · INSTRUCTOR TRAINING
Dialogue & Discussion
You can review our commenting policy here.