- Please remember to join us for the next online lab meeting on April 1st at 10:00 and 19:00 Eastern time.
- If you are looking for a teaching-ready dataset, take a look at Ethan Whites simplified version of the Portal Projects Database now availble in csv, json, and sqlite.
- A 2+1 week NGS course will be offered by Titus Brown and others from 10 - 21 August. Applications are now open.
- EuroSciPy 2015 call for papers is open until 20 April. The conference will take place in Cambridge, UK on 26-30 August.
- Berkley Institute for Data Science (BIDS) is inviting applications for Postdoctoral Researchers in Data Science. Apply before 20 April.
- Ben Marwick wrote an inspirational post about teaching a very novice audience in an environment with no/limited bandwith. He successfully employed miniCRAN to create a local R package repository for their workshop run at the University of Yangon, Myanmar.
- Ever wondered what the most common R errors are as enquired about in Stack Overflow? Noam Ross used the Stack Overflow API and R package, stackr, to analyse the data. Seems like R is mostly looking for things that are not there.
- What motivates researchers to participate in Software Carpentry workshops? Matthew Aiello-Lammens beliefs understanding participants' motivation may help instructors to support those struggling to keep up during the workshop.
- A number of people completed the Software Carpentry instructor training. David Dotson, from the Center for Biological Physics at Arizona State University, wrote about how he will be putting this qualification to use in future.
- Three workshop were run last week: Havard School of Public Health, University of Oklahoma Libraries, and Mahidol University (our first workshop in Thailand).
- Several workshops have been confirmed for the next few months. Upcoming workshops can be viewed on our website. Newly added workshops are indicated with a "*".
- April: Weill Cornell Medical College*, University of Miami*, University of Melbourne*, University of Washinghton - Seattle, Imperial College London, Northwestern University, University of California - Santa Barbara, Wrigley Building, Arizona State University*, University of Texas at Arlington, Washington State University, Simon Fraser University
- May: Western University, University of Melbourne
- July: The University of Queensland, The University of Queensland - AMOS sciences
Anelda van der Walt
Dialogue & Discussion
You can review our commenting policy here.